Another almost identical pair of oak Gothic chairs designed by John Pollard Seddon and made by his family firm Thomas Seddon (Seddon and Co) who were in Bond Street and supplied furniture to Windsor castle and Buckingham Palace, founded by his Great Grandfather George Seddon. He exhibited an almost identical armchair on the Morris, Marshall, Faulkner and Co stand at the 1862 International Exhibition, illustrated in JEREMY COOPERS Victorian and Edwardian Furniture and Interiors, page 104 illustration 220 (the original drawing) and 227 (a variation of this chair) and another version is also illustrated in Nineteenth Century Design by Charlotte Gere and Michael Whiteway, page 84 illustration pl 83 (last two images). Circa 1860's. £POA.
Seddon's partner at one point was E.W.Godwin a friend of the Pre-Raphaelites and some of his pupils were Ford Maddox Brown, C.F.A.Voysey and Daniel Gabriel Rossetti.
These Seddon dining chairs and the pair above are 2 identical pairs (2 x 2), everything from the seat down is identical, the stretchers are all the same on all four chairs and they are all at exactly the same heights and at the seats too, the heights of the very tops of all the four chairs are also exactly the same the only real difference are the little carved flowers to the tops on each side, on one pair they are slightly bigger flowers but apart from that they are the same.
There is a number stamped to the upper leg '5007' on these chairs and '3172' stamped on the pair of chairs above which would suggest that this pair are later.